5 Most Advanced AR Development Tools This Year
With the rise in technology, the virtual and real worlds seamlessly merge, and the results are incredible. At the forefront of this movement is augmented reality (AR) which is changing the game by giving us a new perspective on how we view the world.
Whether you’re in education, healthcare, entertainment, or gaming, the potential for digitally generated objects to be added to real-life environments via smart devices is vast. Artists and designers can utilize technology to bring their creations to life in previously impossible ways.
This results in a new world of immersive experiences that engage and delight users of all kinds. But how do developers make this immersive experience possible? If you are someone who wants to explore the most advanced AR development tools, this article is for you.
This article will discuss the 5 most advanced AR development tools this year and beyond.
First, let’s discuss the main types of augmented reality apps.
Types of Augmented Reality Apps
Augmented reality applications come in various forms, each with unique functionalities. Whether it is for gaming, education, or marketing, there is no shortage of innovative AR solutions. By leveraging these technologies, users can enjoy creative experiences like never before.
Some of the prominent features of AR apps include:
- Graphic markers using tools like QR codes to trigger augmented reality experiences.
- Full-body motion-tracking AR/VR. It is geared towards creating realistic interactions in virtual worlds for industry-specific applications.
- GPS data to generate interactive experiences.
- Smartphones’ gyroscope data enable developers to imbue our world with virtual, 3D objects. The experience evokes a sense of wonder and magic.
Now that we know the types of augmented reality. Let’s explore the most advanced AR tools that make endless possibilities possible.
What Are the 5 Most Advanced AR Development Tools
While you look for the best AR SDK, you may find yourself lost among numerous choices. This is why we have narrowed your search for best-in-class AR SDKs to the 5 most advanced AR tools.
But wait! What do we mean by AR SDK?
What is AR SDK?
SDKs, or Software Developer Kits, are essential for developers looking to create augmented reality software. It’s like having a bundle of tools to untangle the threads of development and organize them into something new.
With SDKs, developers can implement tried and tested solutions to common problems, saving valuable time. Augmented reality simulation is no easy task, which is why it’s crucial to have the right tools on hand.
Whether you’re a seasoned developer or just beginning, these five tools are sure to make your development process more efficient.
5 Most Advanced AR Development Tools This Year
1. Vuforia Engine: Best to scale up your app, chosen by over one million developers worldwide.
If you’re a developer seeking the best solution to put your AR creations out into the world, you don’t have to look any further. Over a million developers have already chosen Vuforia Engine, and there are plenty of reasons why.
Vuforia uses advanced computer vision and AI technology to track objects in real-time, creating immersive and reliable AR experiences that are a true wonder. Vuforia Engine is explicitly designed to create stunning and high-quality AR experiences.
If you’re looking to elevate your sales and marketing game, Vuforia is definitely the tool you need. With a free development model and the ability to make purchase decisions when ready, it’s the perfect balance of efficiency and accuracy.
- With support for Android, iOS, Universal Windows Platform, and Unity Editor, it’s clear that Vuforia is a highly accessible and user-friendly platform.
- It enables you to recognize 2D and 3D objects, including text, create VuMarks, interact with virtual buttons, and more.
- The software supports both marker-based and markerless AR.
- Ground Plane allows you to add content to horizontal surfaces, such as tables and floors, while Visual Camera expands the range of supported visual sources. This makes using Vuforia with devices like smart glasses and drones possible.
- VuMarks can create customized markers that can encode a range of data formats. This allows for both unique identification and tracking for AR applications.
- Device Pose Observer allows you to track a Vuforia target even when the object is no longer in the camera view.
- Session Recorder lets you record your Vuforia targets. It makes it easy to reproduce issues or show clients an example of an AR experience.
Free and paid subscriptions available: cloud plan starts at $99/month and more.
2. Wikitude: Best-in-class SDK with 150 000+ registered AR developers and 40000+ AR apps
Wikitude is a dream come true for developers who crave customization and flexibility in their AR projects. Thanks to its robust SDKs, including
- Wikitude JS
- Wikitude Native
Developers have the freedom to render objects through third-party tools, all within the convenience of this versatile platform. With access to a plethora of features, creating static augmented reality objects has never been easier.
- Upload an image to the online studio,
- Add AR objects,
- Generate JS code,
- Paste it into the project,
Leveraging this best-in-class AR development tool, developers can achieve astonishing results
- With Wikitude, you can bring images, objects, and spaces to life with 2D and 3D content.
- Since it is Cross-platform SDK, you can deploy your AR apps on Android and iOS with ease – code once, and you’re good to go.
- Wikitude SDK is available in Unity & Native API, making it easy to develop AR apps.
Free trial available. The pricing plans start from 490 EUR/year and more.
3. ARKit6: 4K videos and best-in-class geolocation feature
ARKit 6 is taking the world of augmented reality to the next level with its latest features. With 4K video support, you can capture breathtaking high-resolution videos of AR experiences that are perfect for professional film production, social media apps, and more.
Additionally, HDR video and high-resolution background image capture make video and capture capabilities even more advanced.
The innovation of ARKit 6 is evident in its improvements to Motion Capture, ensuring a more seamless and accurate experience. With ARKit 6, your AR experiences will continue to be more immersive and captivating than ever before.
- Depth API: With the per-pixel depth information generated by the LiDAR Scanner, virtual objects blend in more realistically with their physical surroundings. This makes for a more immersive AR experience.
- Instant AR: The LiDAR Scanner effortlessly detects planes and enables the instant placement of AR objects without scanning. This makes for a faster, more seamless AR experience.
- Scene Geometry: topological maps of your space with labels identifying floors, walls, ceilings, windows, doors, and seats. This deep understanding of the real world unlocks object occlusion and real-world physics for virtual objects.
Free and paid subscriptions are available.
4. ARCore: Largest cross-device AR development tool best for enhancing creativity in your project.
ARCore, Google’s augmented reality software development kit, is breaking cross-platform application programming interfaces (APIs) barriers.
With the ability to build immersive experiences on Android, iOS, Unity, and the web, ARCore is transforming how people interact with the world. Through contextual understanding of people, places, and things, this innovative software has created endless possibilities for the ways people play, shop, learn, and create together.
- Motion tracking allows you to track the position of objects in relation to the world around them, making it easy to create games and experiences that respond to user movements.
- Anchors keep track of an object’s position, so you can be sure that your users’ interactions with virtual objects are consistent and reliable.
- Environmental understanding lets you detect the size and location of surfaces in your environment, giving you more flexibility in how you design your AR experiences.
- Depth understanding tells you how far apart surfaces are from each other, letting you create immersive 3D environments.
- Light estimation gives you information about the average intensity and color correction of the environment, so your users can experience AR in a realistic and natural way.
If you’re looking to push the boundaries of technological advancements, ARCore is the perfect tool to add to your developer’s toolbox.
It is a free AR solution.
5. ARToolKit: Best open-source, multiplatform toolkit
ARToolKit is the leading SDK for augmented reality development. Since it is a multiplatform Toolkit, it’s the perfect source for creating immersive AR experiences.
- It supports 2D and 3D images and tracks camera position and orientation in real time.
- The code for marker identification is very robust, employing a simple black square as a basic graphic object.
- The SDK also includes a calibration code for your camera.
- The toolkit comes with several optional plugins for development with Unity and OpenSceneGraph.
It is a freeware product.
What AR SDK to Choose?
When starting a new project, it is essential to know the tools and applications available and choose the one that best fits your development project. The popularity of augmented reality applications has increased in recent years as more developers and companies have started focusing on this innovative field.
This article provides an overview of five AR development tools that are highly regarded among developers. Each tool offers unique features to facilitate development and provide customers with top-notch results.
Furthermore, while these user-friendly tools seem meant for beginners, be advised – some experience may still be necessary to use them to their full potential. Nonetheless, keep your project goals in mind when choosing which software packages you will use. If you’re working with someone else to create the app, ensure they have relevant skills for developing augmented reality technology.
So, what are you waiting for? Now’s the time to dive into AR projects, discover which tool best works for your application needs, and reap all its benefits with the most advanced AR development tools this year and beyond.