11 Best and Most Popular CMS Platforms (Compared)
Do you know that over 78 million websites use CMS technologies?
A CMS platform enables users to create, manage, and publish digital content. Different CMS platforms share a common goal: to make it easy for users to create and maintain websites. But how do you choose a CMS that fits a business? The article will compare the 11 best and most popular CMS platforms.
11 Best and Most Popular CMS Platforms
We have compared WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal based on popularity, ease of use, unique features, and functionalities.
|Popularity||43.3 % of all internet||1.72% of all internet||0.71 % of all internet|
|Live Websites||34,857,439 live websites||1,314, 012 live websites||557, 811 live websites
|Best for||Free and User-friendly||Multilingual support features with 76+ languages||Flexibility and scalability|
|Free Open-source CMS|
|Ease of Use||Easy for beginners||Easy for developers||Easy for technical experts|
1. WordPress.org: Most Popular CMS With 43.3% Active Websites
WordPress.org is a leading CMS platform with many features and plugins. The platform is a self-hosted solution, meaning you must purchase web hosting and install WordPress. It offers more control and flexibility than WordPress.com but requires more technical knowledge.
- Free Themes are available in 9000+ varieties
- WordPress.org has 59,940 free plugins, including block-enabled plugins and beta plugins. Some of its famous plugins include Elementor and YoastSEO
- Openverse has a vast open source library with over 600 million items to reuse.
- WordPress is compatible with reliable hosting resources like Bluehost, DreamHost, and SiteGround
- Support is available through various resources. It includes documentation and a support handbook.
2. Joomla: The best choice for developers with more than 2 million active websites, 110+ downloads, and 76+ languages.
Joomla is the best CMS platform for developers, with 2+ million active websites. The open-source system is simple and adaptable for a blog, company, or community site. But why do developers find Joomla easy? The answer is in the details of features and benefits. While Joomla has many features, SEF web design, plugins, and multilingual packs make it an expert choice for developers.
- Joomla has a domain management tool. The ease of use makes adding, transferring, and managing the domain portfolio a breeze
- The extension directory contains 5,902+ verified third-party extensions.
- Built-in SEO features with SEF to optimize web design for better conversions. Joomla supports mod_rewrite for SEF URLs, which can further improve your site’s SEO.
- The multilingual feature presents packages like Joomla 4x, with 56 accredited languages. While variety in language provides ease of use, it also increases global reach. This feature allows users to customize language settings that fit their business needs.
3: Drupal: Solid choice of technical experts with 1,000,000+ active websites
Drupal is one of the best CMSes for developers due to its wide range of features and options. The CMS software is also very popular with marketers and agencies due to its flexibility and power. It is famous for its robust security, multilingual capabilities, and power to handle high traffic volumes.
- Drupal is responsive, which means it can run on any computing platform, such as windows, Linux, and more.
- Users can design any website imaginable with 40,000+ verified modules and 2,500+ Drupal-ready themes.
- With 100+ languages, you can target potential audiences in their native language.
- While highly flexible, its built-in SEO feature perform at scale and leads to higher conversion rates.
- The free SSL makes Drupal an efficient choice for businesses that handle sensitive data.
If you’re looking for a technical CMS platform that experts recommend, Drupal is a clear choice.
4. Magento: The best eCommerce CMS with a base of 250,000 active websites and fifth place in the 10k sites in the open-source category.
Magento is a popular CMS for eCommerce, powering over 0.7% of websites on the Internet. What makes Magento so popular?
- Adobe commerce feature can support multiple business models on one platform.
- Intelligent commerce features enable businesses to use AI-driven product recommendations.
- Magento is also highly scalable, making it able to support businesses of all sizes.
Magento is an essential tool for businesses to create a successful online presence.
5. Prestashop: Popular for eCommerce with over 300,000 merchants.
Prestashop is one of the best CMS platforms for setting up an online store. It is very user-friendly and has a wide range of features and benefits. Prestashop provides users with more than 600 features to manage online stores, multi-shop options, and more.
- Prestashop is very customizable, so you can personalize your eCommerce website to match your brand perfectly.
- Prestashop allows you to launch marketing campaigns to reach more customers and sell globally.
- The metrics feature helps to manage the business with reliable analytics.
- The platform has 50+ payment solutions. Prestashop has created a module for managing all types of payments.
- Prestashop’s multilanguage store adds significant value to conversion.
6. Sitecore: User-friendly CMS that powers 14,225 live websites.
Sitecore is one of the best CMS platforms because it is flexible and scalable. Sitecore powers websites with features like eCommerce, email marketing, and digital campaigns. With the variety of features, Sitecore creates a seamless, personalized experience that converts.
- Sitecore easily n multiple languages and regionsintegrates personalized marketing campaigns for every visitor
- A comprehensive analytics tool provides instrumental data for understanding user behaviour
Sitecore gives power and simplicity to achieve result-driven web experiences.
7. HubSpot CMS: Easy and flexible CMS that powers 120,000+ live websites
HubSpot CMS or CMS Hub is one of the most popular and best-rated content management systems. HubSpot offers users several features and benefits that make it an attractive platform for businesses of all sizes.
- Drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to update and create pages help.
- HubSpot CMS is fully-integrated with HubSpot CRM, which means you can track user behavior, marketing, sales, and service touchpoints. The CRM data helps to drive conversions.
- The platform seamlessly integrates with user-friendly tools that increase your reach. HubSpot CMS provides keywords and ranking suggestions, and domain analytics. With these SEO recommendations, you can optimize your site without obstacles.
8. BigCommerce: Over 60,000 live websites, sales-driven features, and flexibility
BigCommerce is easy to manage and offers a wide range of features to expand business reach and grow sales. It is a robust platform with built-in SEO, email integrations, and support for leading payment providers.
- BigCommerce also integrates with leading payment providers, making it easy to accept payments online.
- The platform offers a centralized inventory and order management system, which means you can manage sales across multiple channels.
- Built-in SEO and email integrations help to increase reach and engage and drive customers.With ShipperHQ, businesses can take advantage of customized shipping rates, efficient delivery options, and more.
- With ShipperHQ, businesses can take advantage of customized shipping rates, efficient delivery options, and more.
9. Kentico: A Full-featured Kentico Xperience that powers Over 25,000 websites.
Kentico is one of the best CMS platforms for delivering personalized digital experiences at scale. It is a full-featured CMS that allows businesses to increase reach across multiple channels, including web, mobile, email, and social.
- Kentico’s intuitive editing interface and drag-and-drop page builder make creating and updating web content easy. At the same time, its powerful templating engine enables developers to create highly customized websites.
- Marketing features include SEO, cross-channel campaigns, email marketing, and social media integration.
- Built-in web analytics that provides valuable insights into how visitors interact with your website
- eCommerce feature has tools and powerful integrations that maximize user experience efficiently.
10: Progress Sitefinity: a market leader with 3,277,575 live websites
Is there anything better than delivering the right content at the right time to the right audience?
You are right; it is difficult, but how about you get the right all-in-one software that can perform at scale?
Progress Sitefinity is a powerful, all-in-one content management system that helps businesses scale their operations across multiple channels.
- Sitefinity provides a seamless experience on every device, such as mobile tablets and desktops
- Content creators can easily create dynamic content using user-friendly interfaces. Sitefinity also enables them to share content across multiple channels.
- The web analytics feature tracks valuable data on user behavior. It helps businesses to understand customers’ needs. Thus, marketers can optimize and personalize the digital experience to accelerate growth.
Therefore, It is an ideal choice for businesses looking for a robust CMS platform to help them improve their online presence and drive ROI.
11. Contentful: Modern headless CMS with 34,527 live websites
Modern digital experiences require more than visibility. It’s how you use innovation to learn user expectations and optimize your site to convert.
Contentful provides a modern approach to Content Management with benefits like fast performance and global scalability. Businesses can accelerate their digital experiences by leveraging the platform’s powerful features and benefits.
- The platforms help businesses unify their content across multiple channels, including websites, apps, and more.
- Contentful is a headless CMS that gives you complete control over your content models, structure, and delivery.
- The CMS streamlines all operations with the help of integration tools such as translations, segmentations, and search.
- The extensible API makes integrating with other systems and tools easy. Contentful seamlessly integrates with Google Analytics and Salesforce.
- The real-time preview helps to see your content’s appearance before publication.
Best and Most Popular CMS Platforms in a Nutshell
So, which CMS will be the best for your website? We looked at some of the most popular and well-known CMS platforms and analyzed their stats.
WordPress is still reigning king with over 43.3 live websites. Joomla is also popular with developers and has over 2 million active websites. Drupal is easy for technical experts and has 1,000,000+ live websites.
Magento is the best choice for eCommerce platforms, with a current base of 250,000 active websites. Whereas Prestashop is popular among eCommerce merchants, with over 300,000 stores using the platform.
If you’re looking for something sales-driven with lots of features, BigCommerce is your best bet. And if a flexible platform is your choice that can power any website, Progress Sitefinity is the way to go.
We recommend checking out each of these platforms to see which fits your needs the best. And don’t forget – our team of experts is here to help you make the decision!
- Developers can get data about users’ followers, likes, and comments. They can also use the API to post new content on a user’s behalf or promote content to their followers.
- The APIs also provide features for digital businesses, such as endpoints for creating and managing products, promoting content, and generating sales reports.